Acupuncture for Headaches
There are several different types of headaches and many different causes. Headaches are one of the most common problems in society today, and acupuncture is a safe and effective treatment in the case of many headache types.
Most people get headaches occasionally, but some people will get them often. A headache, particularly the recurring kind, shouldn't be taken lightly.
A headache can be a symptom of an underlying imbalance or deeper problem. Frequent use of pain relieving medicines for headache and migraine can cause a "medicine overuse" headache. Prolonged use of medication can cause long term side effects.
Some common headaches are;
- Tension headache,
- Sinus headache
If you're suffering from headaches it could be the result of any one or a combination of some of the following problems.
Certain things trigger headaches for some people but the triggers are not the same for everyone.
- Emotional - caused by emotional stress, worry and anxiety leading to an increase in the neck and shoulder muscles.
- Hormonal imbalances - such as pre-menstrual syndrome and pregnancy.
- Working/Occupational conditions - From sitting in the one position for too long with poor posture, working conditions common for students and office workers, physical overwork leading to tightening of the neck and shoulder muscles.
- Physical trauma - which may damage the structure or connective tissue of the neck. Also - arthritis and disc degeneration leading to pinching of the spinal cord.
- Poor eating habits - intolerance, allergies, irregular eating habits and constipation.
- Some other causes are liver malfunction, weather conditions, genetics, high blood pressure, over-acidity of the stomach and sinus complaints.
If you describe the region of your headache your acupuncturist will know the difference between a headache that occurs in the temporal region and one that occurs in the back region of the head.
All headaches are treated according to their different causes.
Acupuncture treatment for headaches
Acupuncture is highly effective for migraine, cluster, period related, tension/stress, and muscle tension headaches.
The great thing about acupuncture for headaches is that it works in a preventative capacity too.
Acupuncture works in both a preventative and therapeutic manner by re-harmonising your body's imbalances. Treatment can begin without the patient actually even having a headache - prevention is better than cure.
Acupuncture is drug free pain relief - and if you like it can be pain free too! A drug free alternative to the pain. It is simple and highly effective. Acupuncture works via putting your system back on track and by correcting your body's energy imbalances. Plus - it has been proven over thousands of years!
Your acupuncturist will be happy to explain and answer all your questions.
So please, if you have persistent headaches see your acupuncturist and start to treat your condition as soon as possible.
When do you get them?
How long do they last?
Where is the pain?
What type of pain is it?
What makes it better or eases it?
What makes it worse?